Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What track equipment do you guys have?

Blog Entries

What track equipment do you guys have?

I've been taking notes of things we've been missing as well as what other teams walk over to our camp to borrow tools, parts, materials, services, fluids etc........

At Thill last week, the paddock marshall drove around all day and warned that most people did not have their canopies set up correctly. We strapped ours down, but most didn't and when the wind caught, there was damage to their own equipment, other peoples property etc.....

We have most of the large items: air compressor, generator, car lift...
    but I know that each time we've attended, we weren't as prepared as I'd like.

Can you guys advise me on things that I may foresee and list some of the equipment you guys use?

Thanks.
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    image-3095326579.jpg

See the canopy that's on top of the trailer..... It flew up there during the evening.
    Last edited by Hoover; 05-24-14 at 06:17 PM.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Hoover,

The best thing to do for overnight protection is to leave the racecars under the awning, put the skirts up all around and strap the canopy to the racecars with 3" straps. If the storm is so bad that the canopy flips them over the trailer will be gone as well. If you put the cars in the trailer then park a street car to be used as ballast. You can also park the street car or tow vehicle on the outside of the canopy during the day if it storms. NEVER use 5 gallon buckets filled with concrete as ballast, they get launched like a catapult and I have seen what kind of damage they can do.

Sometimes Mother Nature can just be too brutal. At the '99 June Sprints in Elkhart it rained about 7 inches overnight with destructive winds, most canopies were either destroyed or became giant swimming pools, which is what happened to me, had to slit the canopy in many places to dump the water, bent a few trusses as well.

Necessary equipment.......lot's of spares for EVERYTHING, Detailed records/notes for EVERYTHING, Aluminum A-frame hoist, scales, setup equipment, generator, compressor, battery charger, floor jacks, quick jacks, high and low stands, timing/scoring equipment, hydraulic press, good lighting, lots of racer tape, TIG Welder and Oxy/ Acetylene torch, 2 part foam kit with plastic bags in case you have to pour a seat, manual tire changing equipment and bubble balancer (have been to places where there was no tire support), rain gear, umbrellas, cold weather gear (can't tell you how many times unexpected weather pops up), really good gloves so that when doing bodywork the CF doesn't tear your hands to shreds, a couple of fold out cots in case you have to pull an all nighter (the sleeper in the tractor or a motor home will do). There are probably a few other things which are more personal preferences. You may think that some of these things may be a bit over the top but when you racing 2000 miles away from your shop you need to be prepared.

FGM
    Last edited by FASTLAP; 05-24-14 at 05:57 PM.
    2004 Noble M12 GTO3R (NUS0031), Platinum Silver (Currently at TurboHoses getting the Ultimate Hooverization)
    2016 Shelby GT350 #433, Track Pack, Deep Impact Blue, Black Stripes
    2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Laguna Seca #264, School Bus Yellow
    2009 MB C63 AMG Tuned
    Lola B2K/40-Nissan, 2001 Rolex 24 SRPII Class Winner, 2000/2001 Grand Am SRPII Class Champions
    Lola T87/90 S2000 SCCA National Champion 2000
    Lola T250, T252, T324; Caldwell D10

A canopy story. SCCA National races in Topeka Kansas. Some years ago. My friend Scotty White brought his huge transport and rolled out one of those really large side canopies. Length of the semi, extends maybe 30 feet? He weighted it down at various points using these 50 gallon drums with water in them. Next to him was another transport, with a rare Cobra inside the enclosed hauler. That night, the Kansas winds picked up. In the morning, they found one of the water filled drums, had been lifted into the air and came back down through the top of the other transporter, crushing the Cobra inside.

Never underestimate the power of physics. Most people do.
    Something wicked this way comes...

Blog Entries
    i've been working on the canopy weights over the holiday weekend and have a solution that's clean and simple. Excited to try it out at the next race. However, I rented a garage at Laguna again, so it will have to wait till next time to test.

Most of the time I see the legs strapped down to a set of wheels or the trailer. The team parked next to us was concerned that if our tent wasn't tied down, it would hit his motorhome. A few seconds later, the pit marshall came by and told him that his canopy was not secured either.

I spent some of the afternoon monitoring my friends that race in NASA.
    Tough break for some of them. As simple as a rear brake rotor ended the last race.
    image.jpg

The list is growing and ultimately, I think we will have to switch trailers. There's just not enough room.
    Although we run around the paddock with a golf cart that seats 4 and two mountain bikes, I think we need one more mechanically/electric powered scooter of some sort. We ended up at registration after each qualifying race and race to switch cars. That took more time than we thought. Filling fuel was a 1/4 mile from our camp as well as tire changing.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Oops on the rotor, can't you mill radial slots to relieve gas pressure and dust, I wouldn't cross drill them because of heat related stress cracks. You need to put some heat paint on the edge of the rotor to see what kind of temps you're reaching.......................

Sometimes I brought my own 55 gallon drums of fuel that, problem is some scruitneer may not properly test fuel or have contaminated equipment. Run it in first practice and have it tested after the session. NEVER buy clear fuel jugs, the sun will destroy the if it sits outside........even in the shade...UV Rays. Like I said, bring your own manual tire changer and bubble balancer, they are inexpensive, easy to use and if it saves your ass once it will be worth it.

Best pit support xehicle is a rebodied golf cart as a tire hauler (tread plate base) with two front seats and 4- 2.5" pipes that can be removed with PIP Pin, Carries 4 tire sets. Buy a BIG pit tool box with T/S bench on top, nitrogen bottles and ANYTHING that you may need. Make friends with the teams around you on the pit lane, bring donuts in the morning or something, $5 a day won't break you.. If there's something that you don't have in an emergency on pit lane it may save your ass.

Mountain bikes, good exercise, easy to store.

FGM

You can NEVER have a big enough transporter................................end of story.
    Last edited by FASTLAP; 05-27-14 at 09:16 AM.
    2004 Noble M12 GTO3R (NUS0031), Platinum Silver (Currently at TurboHoses getting the Ultimate Hooverization)
    2009 MB C63 AMG Tuned
    Lola B2K/40-Nissan, 2001 Rolex 24 SRPII Class Winner, 2000/2001 Grand Am SRPII Class Champions

Blog Entries
    i've been considering bringing our own fuel. so far, we've we've passed every inspection or given a pass twice. I imagine at the Runoffs, it won't be so easy. We have to be down in Laguna for 5 days straight.

We've made more friends than I would have thought. The Noble along with Rob's driving has definitely gotten the Noble noticed. I'm excited to get Falb's Q1GT out there next!

Most of the Spec. Miatas and SFR racers are part of arrive and drive programs. I found that very interesting. GT-1/2/3/L usually have a small pit crew.

As the weather begins to get hotter, I think a motorhome is a good idea.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

The June Sprints and the Runoffs are a completely different ballgame, all of the stewards are on a mission to find something wrong. There will be officials there from all over the country trying to outdo one another, buncha hardasses. I remember one time at the sprints my 3rd place grid position in FA was disqualified for rear wing height, over by 3/32", because there was a strong tailwind blowing across the scales. I argued to turn the car around and recheck it and average the two results but they said all decisions final. The prior two sessions were without drama, 1/4" below rules. I have has so many issues at Tech when on the scales when it was windy. I'm sure Falb knows how much a Sports Racer weight can change in windy conditions.

Being the new kids on the block and doing so well right out of the box could have made a few enemies. I'm glad they have given you the open arms welcome, keep these people in your playground.

Anytime you see "spec" something, let someone else maintain and prep the car. Steve Fenske, rest his soul, started a SRF arrive and drive when the cars were introduced as Spec Renault back in 1985. He built a huge business because the spec shops know all of the tricks, with SRF it's the setup because the engines are sealed. Spec Miata is a popular class because of the low cost and the cars can be banged on all day and are hard to break, I have built a couple myself. It's setup and HP, 2-3 HP at the end of a long straight can be a huge advantage. When you have a shop that does nothing but one type of car they focus on every little advantage "within the rules" like F1. You would be surprised how many Spec Miatas get disqualified at the Runoffs for illegal engines. If something happens that is car related at impound then you can let the team owner battle it out with the Officials, that's part of the deal, arrive and drive, no dirt on your hands.

Study the GCR from front to back, have it with you in tech and impound and record every page number that pertains to your car for a quick reference. You need to be smarter than they are. It also helps to know the Chief steward, the SOM, the Grid Chief and the Lead Scrutinier. It never hurts to have these people know who you are and build friendships............all over the country

FGM
    Last edited by FASTLAP; 05-27-14 at 02:41 PM.
    2009 MB C63 AMG Tuned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTLAP View Post
    The June Sprints and the Runoffs are a completely different ballgame, all of the stewards are on a mission to find something wrong. There will be officials there from all over the country trying to outdo one another, buncha hardasses. I remember one time at the sprints my 3rd place grid position in FA was disqualified for rear wing height, over by 3/32", because there was a strong tailwind blowing across the scales. I argued to turn the car around and recheck it and average the two results but they said all decisions final. The prior two sessions were without drama, 1/4" below rules. I have has so many issues at Tech when on the scales when it was windy. I'm sure Falb knows how much a Sports Racer weight can change in windy conditions.

Being the new kids on the block and doing so well right out of the box could have made a few enemies. I'm glad they have given you the open arms welcome, keep these people in your playground.

Anytime you see "spec" something, let someone else maintain and prep the car. Steve Fenske, rest his soul, started a SRF arrive and drive when the cars were introduced as Spec Renault back in 1985. He built a huge business because the spec shops know all of the tricks, with SRF it's the setup because the engines are sealed. Spec Miata is a popular class because of the low cost and the cars can be banged on all day and are hard to break, I have built a couple myself. It's setup and HP, 2-3 HP at the end of a long straight can be a huge advantage. When you have a shop that does nothing but one type of car they focus on every little advantage "within the rules" like F1. You would be surprised how many Spec Miatas get disqualified at the Runoffs for illegal engines. If something happens that is car related at impound then you can let the team owner battle it out with the Officials, that's part of the deal, arrive and drive, no dirt on your hands.

Study the GCR from front to back, have it with you in tech and impound and record every page number that pertains to your car for a quick reference. You need to be smarter than they are. It also helps to know the Chief steward, the SOM, the Grid Chief and the Lead Scrutinier. It never hurts to have these people know who you are and build friendships............all over the country

FGM
    During lunch, one of the T1 driver's sat at my table. He told me that he's had enough and going to move on to corvette platform. His car is a 600whp nsx turbo. With the new rules, we are able to best him by 5-7 seconds with only 420whp and 2780lbs. Although we aren't in his class, he's still not happy with the overall results. On the other hand, some of the other turbo cars that run in ITE come to visit our camp every race and congratulate us on how quick the Noble is. We have a little business coming in by assisting them with setup, turbos and tuning. One of the other Gt-1 teams isn't quite so friendly, so we just keep away from them until it's grid time.

You are right. The Regionals are rather lax. When it comes down to Nationals, we'd better check it all and be sure that we are "legal". I know of a few things that need to be changed already.

I'm fearful of Laguna right now. The long up hill after turn 5 and the front straights really load the gear box and I'm a bit gun shy to blow my gear box even though we've installed new input and 5th gear. Our new upgraded parts aren't quite ready yet and now the CV shafts are in R&D. IMO, I think it will work, but would hate to find out when and if it fails.
    The key is to keep the power band usable and not rely on the big power.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

I know how you like to do things yourself but you might want to contact Craig Taylor at Taylor Race Engineering in Plano Texas. He is a wizard with gearboxes and has a coating and hardening process for gearbox internals that can make them much stronger while reducing friction..................

FGM
    2009 MB C63 AMG Tuned