Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: GT-1 Racing 2014

Blog Entries

GT-1 Racing 2014

Welcome to the 2014 season!!!! Some of you have probably figured out that tomorrow, 4/8/14, is the opening of the season for us. This weekend is a Double Regional and we decided to attend the test day in hopes that our new cooling system is up to par. Definitely a huge improvement as the temperatures compared to recent attempts were substantially lower on a warmer day, but not where we need to be. I decided it best to be patient and wait.

It's not the way we wanted to start, but all things happen for a reason. I decided to scope out the competition and it's really intimidating when you see those monster v8's, portable alignment systems, mini-pit crews, and HUGE tires that are double the width of ours. These guys mean business!!!! We have access to a garage that's away from the crowd, but regardless they had no problem finding us due to the attention the Noble received while driving down the paddock to the grid. Lots of thumbs up and a few people couldn't believe that a turbo engine was allowed.

While we were shaking out DV, the v8's and others wanted to prove their point. They spent the morning prepping their cars and watched us, but we would just come in after 6-7 laps. During one session, one of our competitiors and a really fast turbocharged nsx came out. I guess they wanted to prove their surpremacy and aggressively passed us then crashed. WTH???!!!! OK, so it's gonna be like that?!!! This was just a test day, nothing more.

Since we're the new kids in the class, we're careful not to get too much attention, but it's nearly impossible. Some well known drivers came to the garage to look at our set up (one of them races an SL-C in the 25 hour and nasa enduros). When I arrived home, NASA officials were calling me and wanted to know what our future intentions are. I dunno, we just want to have a home, not just a place to track.

We have so much going on that it's difficult to attend all these test days, but we really have no choice. Then there's the racing which usually takes up an entire weekend. In all honesty, it's hard to sand bag, knowing that we're faster than some of them, but there is a goal and we will have to do what we have to do.

This is a morning picture and by the late afternoon, the entire place was full of big rigs, motorhomes etc..... I was the only one that brought a p-shooter trailer.

image.jpg
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    image-173268629.jpg

This t1 viper is awesome!!!

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    there are plenty of races left to qualify for Nationals, however, we're going to have to travel a bit to accumulate the necessary points. Not going to be easy.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    image-1091917804.jpg

Our hiding place....

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    image-2600343634.jpg

There's the 1800 lbs. , 550whp car that Rob passed easily....

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    replying to an email-

We very much appreciate the vote of confidence and loyalty of our supporters!!!!

TH Motorsports is a small company. It was obvious that some of the people/teams racing have partial / full sponsorships. That took the wind out of my sail, honestly. The alliance we have with vendors isn't free by any means, we still pay, but I tell people that we're privateers sponsored by the Noble / Rossion owners, and I've put your funds to the best use possible.

it hasn't been warm and my concern is that we don't have enough buffer for real hot days and I did not want to risk the motor this early in the game. It was best to pull back and restrategize. I also believe that the competitors watching us leave gave them a sense of confidence that what we have is more/less a fluke and never to return.

I'm going to work on the power band, weight distribution and take some of the peak power out. We also have an experiemental short block that could possible be double the strength of the current, but I have concerns of thermal expansion between materials. Too much to learn, not enough time, over budget and that's racing........we will make it!!! I'm working up a game plan today.

Thanks and again keep the faith!!!
    Last edited by Hoover; 03-08-14 at 10:42 AM.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    I also don't want to make it sound like there aren't "normal" people out there. There are plenty, but they aren't the fast ones and are usually at the end of the pack. Most of the shops out there are there to support their customer base.
    I'm going to have to step up our game and be a bit more prepared. Being at the track is one thing. The back end logistics is quite an event.

In the paddock, there were a few one-man pit crews. I felt bad for them during practice. They got dusted by everyone. I knew that I could help one guy out and give him advice on his set up, but we were so busy with our program the time just flew by.
    Last edited by Hoover; 03-08-14 at 05:07 PM.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    image-1916089603.jpg

Just came out of meeting with this years schedule. The SCCA has made it much easier for us to regain position.
    It's early in the game. In retrospect i would have done things differently, but too many unknowns.....

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Well Hoover, welcome to SCCA "CLUB" Racing. I joined SCCA in 1982 to get involved in road racing and witnessed so many changes over the years. Most competitors were using vans or pickups, even station wagons with open trailers, but the BIG timers were using enclosed tag-a-long trailers. Everyone was always one big family as well, helping one another, even loaning you an engine to get you back out on track. As usual things get bigger and more expensive to the point where amateur racing is near the level of many pro teams. Hell, we eventually had a rig and a Newell motor coach to travel around the country to race.

Probably the MOST extreme team operation that I had seen was at the 2005 Runoffs at Mid Ohio when we were racing Atlantics. Hometown boy Graham Rahal was there with support from his dad Bobby's Indy Car operation, I'm talking the ENTIRE team of about thirty crew members as well as Engineers. I remember one night early in the week a suspicious unmarked box truck showed up at the garage where Graham's car was and a buttload of racing tires were very secretively unloaded into the garage. Well the next morning on pit lane we saw Hoosier Tire engineers around his car. When we got a glance at the tires there were NO COMPOUND NUMBERS stamped on the sidewall. Well of course he went on to smoke everyone there. When we mentioned to the stewards in Impound about the "mystery" tires, nothing was done. I mean, how do you compete with that. I guess it's always hard to beat the "home team".

The SCCA Majors Tour series is a real PIA. Instead of having many National races available within a reasonable tow to qualify for the Runoffs, you now have a limited few races to participate in and they are scattered at great distances. I know that is a real cash cow for the Regions and tracks on that schedule............

Just a few thoughts.
    2004 Noble M12 GTO3R (NUS0031), Platinum Silver (Currently at TurboHoses getting the Ultimate Hooverization)
    2016 Shelby GT350 #433, Track Pack, Deep Impact Blue, Black Stripes
    2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Laguna Seca #264, School Bus Yellow
    2009 MB C63 AMG Tuned
    Lola B2K/40-Nissan, 2001 Rolex 24 SRPII Class Winner, 2000/2001 Grand Am SRPII Class Champions
    Lola T87/90 S2000 SCCA National Champion 2000
    Lola T250, T252, T324; Caldwell D10

Hoover, might be a good idea to get some frequent flyer memberships w diff airlines, yr gonna need them to keep up w the shop. That and look into remote communications options, that will help too