Thread: Battery warning light flickering on/off

Battery warning light flickering on/off

Very strange, this happened on the way to a track day, didn't happen again until I washed the car then it happend again, on/off for 1.5 hours. Sometimes it stays off for 20-25 minutes then flashes a little then a lot, then none. Both times it happened, I had just washed the car. I wonder if something is getting wet and causing the problem. Thanks for your help.

Just went for a drive and it started flickering after driving for a few minutes. Didn't flicker all the time and the fuel pump seems to hum in unison with the flickering of the warning light. This is very strange and I'm not sure what to check or look for.

Thanks for any and all help.

Ken

That is usually the early warning sign that the wires at the alternator are shorting together from getting too hot near the front turbo. Inspect them before driving again. As it gets worse, it may leave you stranded.

Does anyone have a picture of these wires, the alternator and battery so I know what I'm looking for.

As caccobra says, this could be an indication of a serious problem with the wires going to/from alternator.
    You might try some searches on the other forum for more info.

Thanks for your help. It's very interesting that the light never comes on at idle. I could be going 100 MPH, shift to neutral and if the light is blinking it will go out. When I turn my fan on or A/C on it doesn't come on as much. Under hard acceleration the light doesn't come on as much either. When I got the car you heard a constant whine fom the fuel pump. Now it may pulsate and the light blimks at the same intervals. This is all very strange. All the wires from the battery and alternator are heat wrapped. I have ascope with a 3' LED light that I'll check all the lines to make sure none of the wires are melting and shorting out.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

If the problem is with the alternator itself, you might expect to see a warning light at idle; but if the source of the problem is in the wiring, it really would not matter what the engine speed is when you see the warning light "flicker".
    Having all the wires heat wrapped in a bundle is a potential problem since the failed/failing wire could be deeply buried in that bundle. You really need to take that bundle apart and carefully inspect each wire. Also, it's pretty well known that the gauge of the OEM Noble wiring is barely adequate for the current requirements. Any significant extra load on the system could lead to a meltdown.