Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which engine?

LS3 crate motor. You can add moderate boost for lots of power. Low cost. Low weight for cost. Everyone in the world tunes it.
    LS7 same thing but stock motor has to be boosted carefully.
    Scott Starkey
    Noble M400 Owner

Hey Al! You would know well. I've always heard that supercharging for race motors is not the way to go because of heat. For the street, they're awesome. Am I misinformed?

The 4.2L V8 is also the Audi R8 V8 engine. I have well over 15,000 hard track miles on this motor with the supercharger always driving at least 8-9/10 . This has been the test car for all VF Engineering/Stasis R8 supercharger development. We tested this car hour after hour at Spring Mountain, Miller Motorsport, and THill, day after day after day for 3 weeks.

This car lives in either Las Vegas near Spring Mountain, or at Miller Motorsport in Utah. It has never been a daily driver. Never had a heat soak incident until we added a new developed aero kit that reduced too much air flow thru an underneath intake. I cannot say enough about the reliability of this engine. It has been thru everything. Never been rebuilt. I would not think twice in racing this engine with this supercharger. I'm not swearing it would hold up for the 25 HR at THill, but it has done beautifully at over 20 extremely hot one hour sessions and probably at least seventy plus 20-30 min sessions. And this engine is also the best sounding, hi pitched V8 I have ever heard. Corvette engines are not the sounds of beauty. ( Yes, the sound is a big part of the experience.)

I also have a Porsche Cayman TPC turbo track car. Heat problems and turbo lag make this ride much less desirable. Its ALWAYS like, let's see how many laps we can do before another problem.

This was the result of the only time I had a heat soak event.
    image004 (Medium).jpg

R8 at Thunderhill B small.jpg

This Audi R8 4.2L engine rules.
    STOP PLATE TECTONICS!

Blog Entries
    I just read the build manual for the 4.2 v8 Audi.
    The frame is very large and complicated due to the 4 drive chains.

I might order one of them to see how they are built.

Maybe, I'll buy an r8 and run some tests.
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    What year do these motors come from?
    They used it from 2006-8 in the RS4, it's still being made for the R8 and also the RS5.
    Noble M400, Hooverized, 515RWHP/516RWlb-ft (93 octane), 572RWHP/537RWlb-ft (100 octane), "M600/The Black and Blue Beast."
    Porsche 993TT, Protomotive (Protosport) 3.8L, Mahle P/C, GT2 EVO cams, GT3076, 997GT3RSRCup brakes, H&R Clubsport S/S, 650-700HP.
    Porsche 996TSCab, Protomotive (Protosport) 4.0L, TurboRSRCabriolet, 93 Octane and E85, Bilstein PSS10 S/S, 800-1,000HP.
    Audi RS4, MTM Lysholm Opcon twin-screw SC, Laminova A/W IC, Ohlins/Hotchkis, 540HP, "The Cherry Bomb."
    Audi R8 V10, ESS Tuning Whipple 2.9L twin-screw SC, GMG Racing exhaust/130R wheels, H&R lowering springs, Sprint Booster, 760HP, "The Silver Bullet."

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhii View Post
    The 4.2L V8 is also the Audi R8 V8 engine. I have well over 15,000 hard track miles on this motor with the supercharger always driving at least 8-9/10 . This has been the test car for all VF Engineering/Stasis R8 supercharger development. We tested this car hour after hour at Spring Mountain, Miller Motorsport, and THill, day after day after day for 3 weeks.

This car lives in either Las Vegas near Spring Mountain, or at Miller Motorsport in Utah. It has never been a daily driver. Never had a heat soak incident until we added a new developed aero kit that reduced too much air flow thru an underneath intake. I cannot say enough about the reliability of this engine. It has been thru everything. Never been rebuilt. I would not think twice in racing this engine with this supercharger. I'm not swearing it would hold up for the 25 HR at THill, but it has done beautifully at over 20 extremely hot one hour sessions and probably at least seventy plus 20-30 min sessions. And this engine is also the best sounding, hi pitched V8 I have ever heard. Corvette engines are not the sounds of beauty. ( Yes, the sound is a big part of the experience.)

I also have a Porsche Cayman TPC turbo track car. Heat problems and turbo lag make this ride much less desirable. Its ALWAYS like, let's see how many laps we can do before another problem.

image004 (Medium).jpg

Well there you go. I WAS misinformed. Glad to learn that supercharging works in a track car! And I love your R8. Those cars are badass, and I'm glad to see them racing in GT. I forget which magazine just ran a fun comparo of R8s, including the GT version, but it was a great read.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Pettee View Post
    They used it from 2006-8 in the RS4, it's still being made for the R8 and also the RS5.
    Audi used 4.2 ltr engines for quite sometime.
    I wonder if the block is the same from 2000 to present?

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhii View Post

image004 (Medium).jpg

How is the Transmission on your R8? what trans do you have in it?

Blog Entries
    the trans. is also a concern. I prefer to have as many gear options as possible.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Grapeman, I must admit that I was like you in thinking that superchargers must have certain inherent problems that make their regular use in racing impracticable . I can't say that I am convinced on all superchargers, but from my narrow perspective, I have come to see them now as superior to turbos. Like everyone, I hear of GM and Ford supercharged & turbo engines blowing quite often on the track. Maybe that is just a problem of too much boost? We run this supercharger system at about 8 lbs boost. And no turbo can sound as good as a supercharged engine.

Also as you well know, force induction engine race cars will always be moved to a different race class. Usually this will be an "unlimited" class, and that also usually means competing against huge engine stock car monsters with huge HP. ( Not exactly my idea of racing similarly powered beautiful and powerful sportscars.)

I do know if I was looking for a lightweight, hugely reliable, hi revving V8 engine for a serious and beautiful sportscar, I would look hard at this Audi 4.2L with a supercharger. ( The record on turbos of the 4.2L R8's is good, but not nearly as good.) The Gumpert Apollo super car also uses this same engine.

Of course I too am a very strong believer of Hoover and his abilities to find the best answers. If he says there is a better engine solution, I will agree 100%.

Gumpert Apollo
    Gumpert_Apollo_07.jpg
    STOP PLATE TECTONICS!

Blog Entries
    i'm very open minded.
    Heck, we got the Duratec v6 to win races, so anything is possible.

I'm considering all factors: price, parts, availability, weight, simplicity, and gear box options.

The LS motors are very large frame. The push rod ford engines are VERY small and light, however, the crankshaft isn't Forged. There are MANY aftermarket options.
    We can build power into any motor, but having a good base makes it much easier.

Audi's engine has been proven for many years and they've used the 4.2 v8 block in many of their racing cars. It's big and really wide. Finding a balance is key. I even looked at the lexus v8.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066