Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering in California - SB100

Quote Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
    Amazing that sequence numbers are still available this late in the game... thought they would be all out because I heard back then if you didn't get your number by Jan. 3, you were out of luck until the next year. Do you know if AAA can do that or only DMV?
    That's the economy working.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious

Amazing that sequence numbers are still available this late in the game... thought they would be all out because I heard back then if you didn't get your number by Jan. 3, you were out of luck until the next year. Do you know if AAA can do that or only DMV?

Q: How do they do the B&L when there's no 3rd brake light or does that only apply to new home builds like the Cobras?
    AAA can not.
    No need for third brake light.
    Doesn't even apply to new builds.

Go get em!
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeman View Post
    That's the economy working.
    I guess that's one of the very few good things about the "Hope and Change"... Not to get into politics....

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    AAA can not.
    No need for third brake light.
    Doesn't even apply to new builds.

Go get em!
    Woot!

I can't wait.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here. You guys are awesome!

Any more advice, keep it coming.
    Thinking of something clever to put here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorious

I guess that's one of the very few good things about the "Hope and Change"... Not to get into politics....

Woot!

I can't wait.

Thanks for all the help from everyone here. You guys are awesome!

Any more advice, keep it coming.
    How bout pics. Of car!?

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover View Post
    How bout pics. Of car!?
    Car is still in FL... but here's one of it from the car inspection. NUS0123.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Okay... so now it's getting close to show time and I'm looking over the Statement of Construction and the Application for Title/Registration (Form 343).

Since my car is already titled and registered in another state, another thread said all that's needed is the bill of sale, title and the 343. I looked over the Statement of Construction and I don't have any of the stuff regarding who built it, where the parts came from, labor, etc. Is that necessary for an out of state car that's already been in operation?

Ugh... the closer it gets, the more I am dreading it.

Florida title should say "kit car" ? My used FL title did, and no, didn't need any of that stuff such as receipts, labor, parts. If you follow the guide and go to places other so-cal'ers went to, it should be fairly easy!! Don't dread it, you will soon have a smog-exempt noble

Primary brand says KIT CAR and make says NOBLE on the FL title.

Got the guide down... almost memorized it... I can recite it now almost:

DMV = bill of sale, title, form 343, request reference to memo VR-2002-25 for SPCNS cars, (at El Monte DMV), ask for SB100 sequence # if they still have any left

CHP = inspection and get VIN stamped in frame or they can use current VIN if they like you (appointment made with East L.A. station)

BAR = Fullerton college, hopefully I can get an appointment there after CHP

DMV = turn in folder of paperwork and wait

Got that already memorized in my head... man... what did I get myself into.

Blog Entries
    great!!! good luck.
    we have a new owner that's going through the process as well.

keep us posted.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Okay, first step of depositing fees and getting my SB100 number took two trips to the DMV. Glad I made back to back appointments at different DMV's as insurance in case it didn't go as planned.

The first DMV was a disaster. They were very friendly but that branch was so busy that they didn't have time to help me with the whole process. I deposited the fees to get the process started. The clerk entered "NOBLE" as the make on the receipt instead of "SPCNS" no matter what I kept said. The supervisor then said she can't give me a sequence number until after I get the CHP and BAR inspection done. They will give me a number after everything was finished and I come back to DMV... which can't be right because the BAR can't give me an exemption if I don't have an exemption number, right? The supervisor did call Sacramento twice and confirmed there were over 100 numbers available so she told me not to worry and sent me away. They gave me a 30 permit to get everything done. My car won't come til next week... time crunch....

So the next day, I went to the El Monte DMV office with my backup insurance appointment. Brand new office, not very crowded. I didn't even need the appointment because I showed up early and the lady said she'll just give me a regular number since I showed up too early to take an appointment number. I got called about 15 minutes before my set appointment time and the clerk there was super friendly and helpful. I told her to look up memo VR-2002-25 and I thought she was ignoring me but she actually pulled it up on the computer and printed it out as she was looking over my paperwork. She read over all 8 pages of the memo and studied the sample entry forms in the memo to make sure she did my forms correctly. I pointed out that instead of "NOBLE", it needed to be "SPCNS" and she said she will take care of it.

Then when it got to the sequence number part, she read over the instructions again and said she would get the supervisor. The clerk at the next window said you can't call except on January 1. I told her it used to be like that when every number was given out on the first day but not anymore. The first supervisor went to lunch, the clerk said she is going to ask the other supervisor, "Will". She then told me to sit upfront where she can see me and went on her business to help other customers. I was lucky to get "Will" to handle my paperwork as you will see.

I saw "Will" take my stuff, disappear, come back once to point out a few things to the clerk, disappear again, and then yelled my name and asked me to go to an empty station. He immediately apologized for making me wait, and thanked me for my patience. I thanked him for helping me in doing this very unusual process. He said not a problem but he is familiar with it and he said I was lucky because he remembered the numbers running out by the morning of Jan. 1 back in the day.

He then handed me my paperwork back and wrote, "2012276" and said I would get my certificate in the mail within 7 days. I said, "Really? This late in the year and it's only up to 276?" Will then said it's been like that since the last few years when the market slowed down. He wished me luck and I thanked him and I was on my way. (whole process took exactly an hour from when I handed over my stuff to the clerk to Will handing me my stuff back)

First step down. Two more to go. Wish me luck on the next stages.

Lesson learned and passed on to future CA residents: Insist (nicely) and make sure the MAKE says SPCNS and not NOBLE. Insist (nicely) on the clerk following the memo. Make sure you get your exemption number from the supervisor before leaving the DMV.