Thread: grinding Fedoro 2500 brake pads

grinding Fedoro 2500 brake pads

I Just picked up some Ferodo 2500 brake pads and I know that I have to grind some of the rear ones away. I was just curious what everybody was doing. Are you grinding just the pad material away or are you grinding the actual steel backing plate also? Also, how are you going about doing this? A standard bench grinder ????

I was probably going to just chamfer on the lower edge of the pads. I can't see going thru all the hassle of grinding the steel plate away when I can just grind the pad material away wherw it wont be in contact with the rotor anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhusky View Post
    I Just picked up some Ferodo 2500 brake pads and I know that I have to grind some of the rear ones away. I was just curious what everybody was doing. Are you grinding just the pad material away or are you grinding the actual steel backing plate also? Also, how are you going about doing this? A standard bench grinder ????

I was probably going to just chamfer on the lower edge of the pads. I can't see going thru all the hassle of grinding the steel plate away when I can just grind the pad material away wherw it wont be in contact with the rotor anyway.
    I've never used them. Here's a question for you, though: why use pads that don't fit right out of the box, when there are great quality ones that do?

Not sure they make rear pads that are the right size/compound. You can use the pads without cutting them but you will need to trim them at some point since they will drag and hang over the edge. Best is to trim the metal and material, but you could get away with only the material.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeman View Post
    I've never used them. Here's a question for you, though: why use pads that don't fit right out of the box, when there are great quality ones that do?
    The Ferodo 2500 pad has an excellent reputation among Noble owners. They have a part number (FRP3083HS) that fits Noble rear rotors, but I've not been able to find it in the US. Fortunately, a minute or two with a grinder is all it takes to fit the front pad (FRP3083H) on the rear.

Some of us actually enjoy working on our cars.

Jeff

Blog Entries
    we've used quite a few pads and seen the pads from cars that come into the shop.

there's not enough data from a race perspective, other than the carbotech. If anyone can provide an entire season of tested pads for this application, it would be nice to know. Most we're HPDE, but none racing. Overall, they all brake the same in the street with the lighter compounds. No doubt, don't track with the OEM brake pads, they don't work at all.

grapeman spends more time working on his own car than most know.
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Quote Originally Posted by M400 View Post
    The Ferodo 2500 pad has an excellent reputation among Noble owners. They have a part number (FRP3083HS) that fits Noble rear rotors, but I've not been able to find it in the US. Fortunately, a minute or two with a grinder is all it takes to fit the front pad (FRP3083H) on the rear.

Some of us actually enjoy working on our cars.

Jeff
    Don't get me wrong. I enjoy working on my car too. It's up on the lift, as we speak. But grinding brake pads to make them fit just doesn't really sound all that fun!

I did one of them yesterday and it only took about 2 minutes to put a 45 chamfer on the pad. So for about 10 minutes or some for all of them it doesnt seem bad. Like I said grinding the plate away just seems like overkill. I guess I could have bought the pads that fit, whicheve ones they might be, but I liked the way the ferodo's perform for my usage of the car for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowhusky View Post
    I did one of them yesterday and it only took about 2 minutes to put a 45 chamfer on the pad. So for about 10 minutes or some for all of them it doesnt seem bad. Like I said grinding the plate away just seems like overkill. I guess I could have bought the pads that fit, whicheve ones they might be, but I liked the way the ferodo's perform for my usage of the car for the time being.
    That's the beauty of America. I know there are a number of different pad manufacturers, each putting out different compounds. Depending on a person's use and likes, different ones will be used. If you like those pads, and you don't mind grinding them down, I see nothing wrong with that at all. Whatever floats your boat, I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeman View Post
    That's the beauty of America. I know there are a number of different pad manufacturers, each putting out different compounds. Depending on a person's use and likes, different ones will be used. If you like those pads, and you don't mind grinding them down, I see nothing wrong with that at all. Whatever floats your boat, I say go for it!
    Plus, if I buy a set of pads and I don't like them....it's not like they will give me my money back.