Thread: McLaren, Noble--- history

Blog Entries

McLaren, Noble--- history

This evening I attended a private film regarding the history of McLaren. There was so much I didn't know. One of the mechanics for Bruce McLaren was the guest speaker- Howden Ganley.

Howden said something interesting, "people at McLaren today didn't know that there was a Bruce McLaren."
    That struck a nerve.

How many people know that there is a Lee Noble? I don't think many of the newer owner's know nor understand the history and all that brought it to the United States; they just think it's cool to own a Noble, but not understand what it takes to own a car that has MANY idiosyncrasies. I doubt that many even know of TurboHoses since we don't post often on forums etc......

To this day, I email back and forth with Lee Noble every month or so. He took a break as the car world was not best suited for best use of his time. He's recently trying again.

There's also a history with the original owners and all the issues they had with these cars early on. Everything from support, registration, mechanical issues, parts and service. Our part came in when we could and did design better parts and ecu programming. In addition, I fight a battle everyday to keep things moving along with a limited amount of vehicles. Everything from insurance, lawyers, taxes, internet, employees, buildings, health care, proper mechanical business certificates etc....... (I don't do this out of my house). All of the expenses of internet presence are funded by me solely and volunteers, however, the IT people are on the clock and it's time consuming per day. My motivation was being an owner of several Nobles at one time, not just a business.

History may one day just disappear even though we worked so hard to keep the Noble Brand in good standing. Much of which is handled by a legal department. If Bruce McLaren's name can disappear, I'm sure ours is just as easy to forget since we are not a major foot print in the automotive world.

Never in my life would I have thought that I would be a fabricator turned automotive politician. It's real and the time I spend deliberating is VERY time consuming. Sometimes I say to myself, "am I saving the car or the driver?" It's always a fight that I can not make public, but it exists and most do not know of the backend that keeps this alive. Cars are about the people and their stories; not the mods.

All in all, I can relate to Bruce McLaren and his efforts as the man in front and behind the scene. A driven man that wanted to build cars that met with unfortunate tragedy. RIP Bruce- maybe one day we can talk cars.
    Last edited by Hoover; 11-07-17 at 10:15 PM.
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    holden.jpg

Howden Ganley- Mechanic (Bruce McLaren) and Formula 1 Driver.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    Attachment 10616
    Interview....

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    Attachment 10617

Bought these two books and added it to my collection.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066