Thread: March 22nd, Dinner at the Basque: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca: A Tale of Legend, Challe

Blog Entries

March 22nd, Dinner at the Basque: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca: A Tale of Legend, Challe

I spent the weekend at British Car meets and small car shows-

I was invited to this social get-together regarding Laguna Seca-

Meet Gill Campbell,*CEO/General Manager of Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and Barry Toepke, Vice President, Communications & Historic Racing and hear the real story.
    Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca: A Tale of Legend, Challenge, and Triumph
    In 2017 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca celebrates 60 years of hosting the world's top cars, motorcycles and drivers.*
    It is revered as one of the most challenging race tracks in the world. But in spite of the fact that it has been held in the very highest esteem, there have been challenges. There were fears that we could lose MRLS. There are going to be changes. Big changes.
    Wednesday March 22nd at the Basque Cultural Center in South San Francisco, CA
    6:00 to 6:45 P.M. socializing, dinner will be served at 7:00 PM
    The program starts promptly at 7:45 PM

Make you dinner selection which includes admission at www.theoldmotorist.com *by Friday March 17th.

I plan to attend. If anyone has interest, please sign up and attend.

-Hoover
    SCCA National Runoffs GT-1 Bronze Medal
    SCCA GT-1 Divisional Champion

Noble Automotive USA (TurboHoses Company)

Noble M12/M400
    Hoover@nobleautomotive.com
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    IMG_9182.jpg.....Jill Campbell--- she is the powers of Laguna Seca.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    I learned a lot that evening about Laguna's current state-of-affairs- not good.
    The bottom line is that they never have enough money and the facility is in dire need of TLC.

Laguna Seca has a soul for most of us. It's where the Noble took stage and gave us a solid foot print in the U.S.
    "When you meet Laguna Seca, it holds your heart", said Jill Campbell, General Manager Laguna Seca.
    She fights a battle fueled by her faith and passion for racing at a cost of her personal life over and over and over and over.............
    She gets beat down by many but said, "IF YOU CAN DO IT BETTER, STEP UP!!!!! If I were more "retired", I would have the time and try.............we've all fought the uphill battles before and a little win everyday amounts to a lot.

Laguna Seca was given a 3 year contract to turn the track "around" and generate higher revenues. This includes functions outside of track use. The main issue of the city is very short-sighted, IMO- build condominiums. How many people visit Monterey without the race track? I'm sure there are some, but not enough to boost the general economics with an influx visitors. The Historics generates 200m in revenue in a week and it grows. I see the numbers of condominiums at a high-cost of losing forever Monterey Car Week. It will never be the same.

The rain, we need it here in California. The rain damaged 5 of their buildings to the point of no repair.....they need money and there's never enough.

My brain works non-stop all the time as a problem solver. I know there's an answer out there, but it all boils down to money. I don't think it's possible to convince the city of the wrong they will do to history if the track disappears. One day, I'll walk back and say, this is where I got my first checkered flag in a Noble.
    My son is now older and I'll pay the double fees and continue to donate what I can to help the facility as well as hold my breath.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    Memories----- during the social, I was recognized by another attendant. He sent me a video link and saw us the day we were at the track.
    Al's car that he asked us to drive at Laguna Seca...

https://youtu.be/2lDm90Rd8fM
    Last edited by Hoover; 03-25-17 at 12:48 PM.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066

Blog Entries
    IMG_9173.jpg

Jon Rossen is a British car journalist -
    He invited me to the event and told me that most don't understand how close we are to losing the track. He knew of our Noble world and battles fought on this track. To this day, every time we enter the paddock, we are met by staff with open arms.

Noble M12/M400
    925 -455-1066