Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americanised paperwork

Americanised paperwork

I did get the plates and registration yesterday. The 17 digit VIN obviously did not show up in the system but it all worked out. I did not think it would be a problem getting insurance at that point but my insurance company needs one more document. The asked me if the car was Americanised???? Does anyone know where I could get a document like that? They said it should have been given to someone when the car came into America.

Are they talking about customs paperwork? Sound like you need to get different insurance company state fam and progressive never asked us for that.

tha car wasnt a car when it came to US, it was a rolling chassis. there is no need for americanization of it, it didnt exist as a car, it's a kit put together in the US.
    I have allstate, never had any issue. Hagerty insure noble too I think and the cheapest are the one open for military only, cant remember their name on top of my head.

They told me it would tell them that it met US safety standards. These are the agencies they said I should be able to get it from: Department of Transportation, Environmental or US Customs Services. I was told the first person to register it would have needed to provide this document.

I use Barrett-Jackson which offers collectors insurance via American Modern Insurance Group. No problems whatsoever.
    Thinking of something clever to put here.

I went online and Hagerty listed the noble in there choice of vehicles. Filled out all the forms and it came out to 1,200 dollars. I'm waiting to here back in the next day or to. That price seems high. I will call more insurer's tomorrow.

Does anyone's 17 digit VIN number come up in the Motor Vehicle system? When they do a VIN check it comes up as 1995-2005 and says South Africa that's it

US Noble's never came with a 17 digit VIN. They all came with NUS0XXX VIN in consecutive numbers of production. That is what you will find on the factory VIN plate on the driver'side upper frame rail in the engine compartment. To achieve a 17 digit VIN many Insurance companies and DMV's just add enough 0's in between NUS and the factory VIN to achieve a 17 digit number for their systems. Some state DMV's insist on making up their own 17 digit VIN and putting that number as a sticker on the car and on the new title for their registration purposes. In my case, MI just used the actual factory VIN number and that is what they put on my MI title. The insurance company in MI just added the 0's to achieve a 17 digit VIN for their purposes. When I registered it in CT they made up a new 17 digit VIN after the safety inspection and put a sticker on the car in the driver's door jam and that made-up number is what appeared on the new title and that is what the CT insurance company used. It all depends on what state you are dealing with for the DMV and the insurance company will accept whatever number appears on the title. The insurance company will just add the 0's necessary to get to a 17 digit VIN for their purposes, if the state puts the shorter factory VIN on the title.

Ludo is correct about how the cars were shipped here. They came without the drivetrain installed to get around the requirements for crash testing, etc. They are a very low production hand-built vehicle that came into the country from the HiTech factory in South Africa as a component vehicle. The paperwork they told you to get does not apply to low volume component vehicles ( Kit cars).
    Last edited by caccobra; 12-06-15 at 04:01 PM.

CA just uses the 7 digit factory VIN and AMIG uses that too for insurance purposes. Btw, I pay under $600/yr. for 6k miles per year.
    Thinking of something clever to put here.

Here is what my car has...IMG_20151204_150049.jpg
    I guess they made up the VIN without using the Chassis number

Quote Originally Posted by cooch8c View Post
    Here is what my car has...IMG_20151204_150049.jpg
    I guess they made up the VIN without using the Chassis number
    Yup. You also have the factory VIN tag on the driver's side upper frame rail in your engine compartment. That should be the starting point for your discussions with the DMV in NJ, not the made up VIN from MO. Each state does it their own way, but if they don't at least acknowledge the factory VIN, they need to be educated that it exists.