PDA

View Full Version : The Future.....

Hoover
05-28-13, 02:40 PM
Hi All,

I hope you all had a great holiday weekend.
I took some time to play with the kids, cherry tree picking and a simple dinner.

The bulk of the weekend, I continued on for the quest to improve on all things Noble/Rossion related.

I emailed back and forth with customers, Lee Noble, Ian Grunes and sent out a small survey to get some feedback all up till this morning. What I read was as expected, but one thing that I took for granted is that not every owner knows of Lee Noble's legacy. I just made the assumption, and a bad one at that. Last week, someone called for an HVR, and I automatically thought the Noble linked them there, obviously not. Some very interesting backgrounds I read about. It helps identify the market.

I believe that in the U.S. there is a small but very strong following for these types of vehicles. They are unique, light, powerful and back to the basics of what sports cars are all about with a more modern look. With a bit of service on the back end, the community would be very strong and prosper.

I've spent hours speaking to Lee and Ian and trying to find a middle ground on improving all things for the future. I carefully listen to consumers/owners and implement their feedback.

It's my goal to grow this brand and bring it to the foreground of specialty vehicles. With Lee and Ian's cooperation, it makes it much easier for the success of these programs.

I've made many friends in this community and I doubt anywhere I would have had the help I've had throughout the years. TH was built by a belief of a few people and that grew. The cars are now 4-7th owners now, so I don't know everyone, but it amazes me that I still am in contact with the original and second owners, even after they've moved on.

A few questions for you-

How did you hear about the Noble or Rossion?
What convinced you to purchase?
A little about your car history.

You can also email me directly if you don't feel comfortable posting.

Hooverc@turbohoses.com

I thank you all for you time.

jroberts
05-28-13, 05:23 PM
I went to get tacos and saw the cars parked outside your shop. Googled the Noble and Rossion, immediately lusted after one.

You. I walked into your shop and you were generous in your explaining the marque and showing me some cars. The detail was appreciated. Then, when I did sell the Porsche, a good one was available. !!!

Motorcycle racer first. (ouch!) Auto racer second. (started too late) Sports car owner third. Always loved rear engine sports cars. They are the most fun to drive.

Jeff

Hoover
05-28-13, 07:18 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks! I had no idea that I had anything to do with your reason of purchase. I just tell it like it is. These cars are owned and sought out by VERY special group of enthusiasts. The simplicity of head turning looks and raw performance with a modern flare draws quite the crowd.

Hope you are enjoying your car!

Best,
Hoover

Hoover
05-28-13, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies/emails folks.

I'm taking this evening and reading through them carefully.

I know quite a few would rather email responses and more openly express your thoughts. It's greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to better the future of this small car market, but it takes feedback and direction.

Notorious
05-29-13, 01:26 AM

Friend had one. Tried talking me into buying one. I've heard of the name from reading the little blurbs in Road & Track or Car & Driver, but never seen one and never gave it much thought. Bought a Lotus Elise. Got tired of it. Friend kept pushing for me to get a Noble. Found me a good deal on one and the rest was history.

It was time to get something world class in looks and performance. The Lotus wasn't cutting it and Porsches were too common here. Can't fathom nor deal with the upkeep on the Ferrari and Lambo even though I can probably afford to buy one... but just don't feel right paying that much money for maintenance on a car I don't drive much. The Noble, for all its exotic feel, is dirt cheap to own and run by comparison. So when my buddy found me a good deal on one in the color I wanted, I had no excuses not to do it.

Owned sports cars all my life from my first car onward and owned all types of cars, from pure sports cars to grand touring cars to performance sedans to roadsters, you name it. But like your other poster, I am a motorcycle roadracer first and foremost (WERA) and spent a few years doing that. Never got into cars as much as I did with motorcycles until now thanks to the Noble. Haven't ridden in a while, bike is under covers, but can't wait to drive my Noble every weekend. Better late than never.

Noblefamily
05-29-13, 04:36 AM
Jeremy and Kristen Miller
(Question #1)
We are huge car people and our interest is in the exotic and unknown as well as what is coming next. Cars (and the Blackhawks) are pretty much all we do (no kids so we can focus on hobbies). There is very little out there in the automotive world that Kristen and I do not have at least some knowledge of. In regard to Noble, we are based in Indianapolis and 1G racing was over in Hamilton, Ohio right on the Indiana/Ohio line. We had an eye on the M12 but weren't sold until the M400 was released. We had initial contact with Dean Rossen from the Auburn collector car auctions where the brand had been on display several times. Add to that the fact that Tom Bose and Greg Robb operated out of Brownsburg here in Indy and things just fell in line.

(Question #2)
We prefer to buy the exotics that no one has heard of. Our interest is in the things that run and look as good as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche but the general public does not know or understand. The sure fire way to make us hate something is to see someone else have one. I like the fact that no one knows what that car was that just passed them. I also believe that just because you can buy a sports car doesn't make you a sports car person. We are gear heads in this house and cant stand the people who have their cars as a social status symbol. Typically companies like Origin, Noble, Ultima, Ariel, DDR, Donto, Superlight, Spyker, etc., arnt going to have the social climbers buying their cars in mass because owners have to bleed for them rather then just buy it off the lot. When you have these cars you enter into a fraternity with the other owners and will eventually interact with these people. We like to make a clear statement that we are not like the idiot who just bought a 911 turbo because he/she has no vision. We also really like the aspect of being able to make the cars the way we want them from the ground up and the ability to interact with the owner/creators. Aston's CEO could give a crap about the desires of the Miller's in regard to their next purchase but I bet you that Hoover still cares what we would like to see out of our HVRs.

(Question #3)
We are in our early 30s and as such don't have the massive collection history as many other people. Add to that an issue with the Bluegrass Motorsport Club failure that has cost us not only time but also money and direction and we stand at:
3 Lotus Exiges (one traded)
2 Lotus Elise (both traded)
1 Lotus Esprit (final ed.)
1 427 Shelby Cobra (kit-traded)
1 Ford Gt40 (kit-traded)
2 Porsche Cayenne turbos (one traded-gotta get grocery's in something)
2 Noble M400s (Chassis 197 and 198)
2 BMW R1100s (South African ed.)
1 BMW Z4 (traded)
And a loooooooong list of future cars in the pipeline over the next 30 to 40 years.

hope that helps.

Hoover
05-29-13, 07:09 AM
so far, there are about 5 responses that mentioned Porsche in the past and not wanting a car that is the same as everyone else. Lots of motorcycle backgrounds as well.

lots of similarities in being unique.

I just want to do things right and this feed back will definitely help me convince Lee and Ian of things that should improve upon. It also helps me to understand the frustration of owners. I know of all from the Noble crowd early on, but all of that is non-existant today.

Hoover
05-29-13, 07:11 AM

Friend had one. Tried talking me into buying one. I've heard of the name from reading the little blurbs in Road & Track or Car & Driver, but never seen one and never gave it much thought. Bought a Lotus Elise. Got tired of it. Friend kept pushing for me to get a Noble. Found me a good deal on one and the rest was history.

It was time to get something world class in looks and performance. The Lotus wasn't cutting it and Porsches were too common here. Can't fathom nor deal with the upkeep on the Ferrari and Lambo even though I can probably afford to buy one... but just don't feel right paying that much money for maintenance on a car I don't drive much. The Noble, for all its exotic feel, is dirt cheap to own and run by comparison. So when my buddy found me a good deal on one in the color I wanted, I had no excuses not to do it.

Owned sports cars all my life from my first car onward and owned all types of cars, from pure sports cars to grand touring cars to performance sedans to roadsters, you name it. But like your other poster, I am a motorcycle roadracer first and foremost (WERA) and spent a few years doing that. Never got into cars as much as I did with motorcycles until now thanks to the Noble. Haven't ridden in a while, bike is under covers, but can't wait to drive my Noble every weekend. Better late than never.

I much appreciate your time. One of my customers is 60+ years old and still races his super bikes till this day. He's crazy!!!!

Like yourself, I avoided the lamorghini, even up till last week when I almost bought that or an r8. However, I'm so busy with bringing our line to market, I'd have no use for any of it.

Hoover
05-29-13, 07:19 AM
Jeremy and Kristen Miller
(Question #1)
We are huge car people and our interest is in the exotic and unknown as well as what is coming next. Cars (and the Blackhawks) are pretty much all we do (no kids so we can focus on hobbies). There is very little out there in the automotive world that Kristen and I do not have at least some knowledge of. In regard to Noble, we are based in Indianapolis and 1G racing was over in Hamilton, Ohio right on the Indiana/Ohio line. We had an eye on the M12 but weren't sold until the M400 was released. We had initial contact with Dean Rossen from the Auburn collector car auctions where the brand had been on display several times. Add to that the fact that Tom Bose and Greg Robb operated out of Brownsburg here in Indy and things just fell in line.

(Question #2)
We prefer to buy the exotics that no one has heard of. Our interest is in the things that run and look as good as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche but the general public does not know or understand. The sure fire way to make us hate something is to see someone else have one. I like the fact that no one knows what that car was that just passed them. I also believe that just because you can buy a sports car doesn't make you a sports car person. We are gear heads in this house and cant stand the people who have their cars as a social status symbol. Typically companies like Origin, Noble, Ultima, Ariel, DDR, Donto, Superlight, Spyker, etc., arnt going to have the social climbers buying their cars in mass because owners have to bleed for them rather then just buy it off the lot. When you have these cars you enter into a fraternity with the other owners and will eventually interact with these people. We like to make a clear statement that we are not like the idiot who just bought a 911 turbo because he/she has no vision. We also really like the aspect of being able to make the cars the way we want them from the ground up and the ability to interact with the owner/creators. Aston's CEO could give a crap about the desires of the Miller's in regard to their next purchase but I bet you that Hoover still cares what we would like to see out of our HVRs.

(Question #3)
We are in our early 30s and as such don't have the massive collection history as many other people. Add to that an issue with the Bluegrass Motorsport Club failure that has cost us not only time but also money and direction and we stand at:
3 Lotus Exiges (one traded)
2 Lotus Elise (both traded)
1 Lotus Esprit (final ed.)
1 427 Shelby Cobra (kit-traded)
1 Ford Gt40 (kit-traded)
2 Porsche Cayenne turbos (one traded-gotta get grocery's in something)
2 Noble M400s (Chassis 197 and 198)
2 BMW R1100s (South African ed.)
1 BMW Z4 (traded)
And a loooooooong list of future cars in the pipeline over the next 30 to 40 years.

hope that helps.

Hi Jeremy,

thanks so much for the detailed reply.
you have owned quite the field of cars. I think I saw some huge big rig that belongs to you? green and black?
must need it to move all your toys!!!!

Like you, i believe that this group is a very small but strong family. Lots of things in common. Lee understands it, but he's much better just building things. I often try to make him laugh and he doesn't. I ask him a bunch of technical questions and he writes a book for me.
if he could just do a little of that with the public.

he's prioritizing right now and asked me to come test his car again. I'll do that.

Notorious
05-29-13, 07:38 AM
I much appreciate your time. One of my customers is 60+ years old and still races his super bikes till this day. He's crazy!!!!

Like yourself, I avoided the lamorghini, even up till last week when I almost bought that or an r8. However, I'm so busy with bringing our line to market, I'd have no use for any of it.

Pricing the stupid maintenance on regular stuff like clutch jobs which are $7k and a new engine for $37k on a Gallardo, and which aren't uncommon... or buying a R8 which really doesn't look that visually exciting like the Noble didn't do it for me. I love how the Noble is just screaming "this car is outrageous" from every angle. It's unadulterated excitement from every aspect you can think of with no excuses, no compromises, and no apologies.

Oh, Ferrari is even worse... no thanks to the required maintenance jobs every year that you have to do whether or not you drive it. If I wanted to throw away money I would do it at a strip club.

lots of similarities in being unique.

Haha... we are all special and unique... which means none of us are... sorry... just reminded of of some saying that was similar to that. But I think Noble owners are all looking for something different and something that regular folks won't understand or get. The ignorance and sometimes hate you receive from strangers confirms that outsider status but I don't care. I didn't buy the car for them. I bought it for me.

Hoover
05-29-13, 07:47 AM
Pricing the stupid maintenance on regular stuff like clutch jobs which are $7k and a new engine for $37k on a Gallardo, and which aren't uncommon... or buying a R8 which really doesn't look that visually exciting like the Noble didn't do it for me. I love how the Noble is just screaming "this car is outrageous" from every angle. It's unadulterated excitement from every aspect you can think of with no excuses, no compromises, and no apologies.

Oh, Ferrari is even worse... no thanks to the required maintenance jobs every year that you have to do whether or not you drive it. If I wanted to throw away money I would do it at a strip club.

Haha... we are all special and unique... which means none of us are... sorry... just reminded of of some saying that was similar to that. But I think Noble owners are all looking for something different and something that regular folks won't understand or get. The ignorance and sometimes hate you receive from strangers confirms that outsider status but I don't care. I didn't buy the car for them. I bought it for me.

makes sense. try being an owner back in 04. nowadays, in special car venues, people do know what the Noble is. BUT, not while your driving around town. When we cruise to Socal, we still get all the camera phones popping out on the freeway. The gas station stops are crazy, always a crowd.

cyzonyx
05-29-13, 07:49 AM
I bought the car to pick up chics, unfortunately my wife wouldn't allow it.. :(

Pinnacle
05-29-13, 09:16 AM
aaaaaahum, I take exception to that 04 comment, that is when I bought mine ! and still have it. People had no clue what it was nor do most now. Although .............. even up here in the mountains you get surprised. A few years back, I was at a BP station somewhat locally and two guys walked up and and were like "bloody hell, can you imagine that, a Noble HERE in the US !" Of course two Brits who knew what they were talking about, classic !

makes sense. try being an owner back in 04. nowadays, in special car venues, people do know what the Noble is. BUT, not while your driving around town. When we cruise to Socal, we still get all the camera phones popping out on the freeway. The gas station stops are crazy, always a crowd.

Hoover
05-29-13, 09:31 AM

funny..... i had a spokes model that inquired about working at convenstions and booth with us.
my wife wouldn't allow that either.

Notorious
05-29-13, 10:24 AM

Actually, I've only owned my car since last August (3rd owner), and I've noticed the increase in recognition only in the last 2-3 months here even in car crazy SoCal. The one thing that made a huge difference in the name recognition is Top Gear (UK) and the M600.

Pretty much everyone who talks to me that knows the car falls into either the "I saw that car on Top Gear" crowd or the serious aficionados who know their cars. But overall, I would say outside of car meets where it's like maybe 1 out of 4 or 5 or at best 50/50 at an exotic or British meet, on the streets in public, maybe 1 in 20-30 people know what a Noble is or even heard of it.

Hoover
05-29-13, 11:03 AM
that's pretty much, spot on!

Top Gear is probably the best advertisement for these types of cars. I know Top Gear is waiting on the next generation. Lee mentioned that to me and will use that media to advertise future cars.

Notorious
05-29-13, 12:09 PM

This is one of the worst cars for picking up girls in my experience. I get way less people talking to me than with my Lotus Elise. With that car, everybody wants to talk to you and take pictures with the car. With the Noble, people sometimes will talk to you but I've also seen more just looking but will not talk to you, especially girls.

Girls had no problem talking to me when I had the Lotus. Heck, I had better luck with girls with the Miata, Boxster, IS300, M3, 650i... any of my motorcycles... heck, even in my trucks. The one time that the car made a difference was this really beat up purplish Ford Ranger that I bought to haul stuff in... with a big camper on the back... and this girl I was talking to just gave me this look of disgust when I asked her if she liked my truck... oh well.

funny..... i had a spokes model that inquired about working at convenstions and booth with us.
my wife wouldn't allow that either.

Tell your wife that I will man the booth for you and you will never have to see those models. I would do that for you because I am cool like that.

Hoover
05-30-13, 06:44 PM
I spent some time to read through more emails today. The feedback is really great and detailed. I'm learning much more than I ever knew about original buyers and new owners. Actually,
Spoke to some new owners this month. No doubt that excitement is in the air.

I'm trying to make things better, find some balance in this specialty car world and make sure that you all see
A future and home. I've spent hours speaking to the higher powers that be; not easy at times, but no doubt a very positive dialogue nonetheless.

It seems this small community is changing rather quickly and I for one believe that growth is good, as long as you remember the people that got you there.

Thanks for the help from my customers as well. I'll definitely have more questions soon.

Ivan
05-31-13, 09:06 AM
Hi Hoover,
I also learned about the Noble watching Top Gear,
actually during my visit in Vienna when
Dad was getting worse.
Got told of course that it I not possible for Canada !
That got me really going, took about 2 years to have
the car actually on the road, but only 3 months after
receiving the "parts".

Still drawing some crowds on the road photo flashes and
a lolt of people at car shows. Some do recognize it,
now more then in the beginning.
Car is on the road since May 2007.
Still getting invite to the exclusive Super Car Show here
every Year since inception
in Vancouver, although the rule is that no car
can be shown twice !
Cheers,
and thanks for all your development work and effort
on the cars we love
Cheers,
Ivan

FASTLAP
06-03-13, 04:09 PM
Hey Hoover,

How about changing Turbo-Hoses to "Hooverwerks", just a thought. Anyway, entered my Noble this past Sunday (yesterday) in our annual St. Louis European Auto Show where all the Uppity people put the only miles on their Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Astons and other exotics to keep up with the Jonses. My Noble was THE HIT of the show. Had the engine cover open and the crowds never stopped surrounding the car. Had Ferrari F458's and Porsche GT3 RS's around me but I rained on their parade. Pissed off most of the other exotic owners there as well. Amazing that a car like the Noble never ages and can pert near kick butt on anything there, I know that it's got me hooked and when I'm hooked God help me.

Talk to you soon.........

Frank

BTW, going to put aircraft Cannon plugs on my nose and tail covers so it's just a quarter turn to disconnect the wiring when removing them plus they're weatherproof.......................

Hoover
06-03-13, 04:31 PM
Hey Frank,

That's awesome! The design is rather timeless. I know that when we go to the track, we get tons of people taking pictures, asking questions etc..... I doubt the design will ever get old. Lee, is famous for designing cars that are not alike, so there's never really anything to compare too.

I've been thinking of just calling our car line products, HVR. Just clean and simple. Seems people know the name quite well.

I started the company a dozen years ago and engineered our own silicone connectors, which still sell world wide today. Little did I know the direction we would be at today. Really an amazing journey.