PDA

View Full Version : Alarm stopped working, everything else is fine, can't figure it out

Notorious
10-12-12, 05:45 PM
Okay, fessing up that I had my car washed and detailed, but I was very careful and told the guy to not spray water on it with a pressure washer but just use it on the regular setting and rinse the car. He didn't put extra water anywhere it didn't need to be.

So anyway... now the alarm does not set when I push the fob button, and the doors don't lock since I can't set the alarm, meaning I can't take this car out in the public and leave it unattended in L.A. Headlights/signals don't flash, doors don't lock, nothing.

The fob button still works for disabling the immobilizer since I can still start the car after pushing the fob button when seated inside, so it's not the fob button or batteries. I figured since the car receives the signal from where I am seated, I tried taking the key out and just setting the alarm from inside the car to see if it's transmission distance. No dice there either, the alarm does not set.

Checked the fuse, and it looks good. The plastic housing on the fuse is slightly cracked... strange, but the fuse itself is good. So no go there.

Checked the fitting of the clams, screws are all tight, no issues there. Door latches are good. Strike plates solid. Door open sensors are good.

Read through the owner's manual and the build manual chapter 11 for technical help... nothing.

I checked the threads, and read through at least 10 threads, and flipped through more than that in the search results... can't find anything... other than checking the CLI, which I will do in a bit, but don't think that would all of a sudden fail like this.

So the wires look good and the CLI is solidly mounted with no signs of any wires failing anywhere. Fuse good.

Now it's getting even weirder and more dangerous.

The alarm does not work when parked over a few hours. However, you get in the car and you can still disable the immobilizer from the fob and then start the car. Then you drive, after about ten minutes or so, the red light flashes a few times, that's the warning, then randomly, the car will shut off as the immobilizer engages, and you have to rush to hit the fob button to disengage the immobilizer, and if the car hasn't died completely, then continue driving, or if the car died, restart the car while on the move, and drive off like you meant for it to happen.

Then the alarm will work for the rest of the time while you are out. Working just fine. Then after a few hours parked at home, it will stop working again, and the cycle repeats.

I'm about to just tear the whole thing out and get a new alarm system put in but just have to find an installer that is reputable so they don't fry the car.

Anyone got anymore suggestions or ideas? Help!

Hoover
10-12-12, 06:09 PM
sounds like a short.

Let it all dry up for a few days, then try it again.

Notorious
10-12-12, 06:12 PM
It's been more than two weeks... is there any place in particular that washing the car can cause a short? I checked the back clam for any problems with the button that the clam pushes down and it seems fine. Not sure what to look for under the front clam but everything in the fuse panel looks fine.

Thanks for the fast response, appreciate your help as usual.

Hoover
10-12-12, 06:58 PM
check the passenger footwell fuse panel. pull it open and see if any water is in there.

Jimbo
10-12-12, 08:41 PM
Don't know if this will help or not, but one thing you can try is to go to Radio Shack and buy a can of electrical contact cleaner and a can of compressed air ( if you don't have an air compressor). On the passenger footwell, near the fuse box, you should be able to find the alarm boxes - take apart each connector, blow out both sides with compressed air, spray it with contact cleaner, put the connector together and take it apart again a few times. Do this one connector at a time, so you don't accidentally mix up the connections. While you're at it, check the carpet and all of the alarm boxes for signs of moisture. If there are any traces of moisture, dry it all up by using a fan or a hair dryer...

Notorious
10-13-12, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

Aside from the CLI, is there anything else that is alarm related that I should check?