PDA

View Full Version : New Noble Owner

Grinder
05-12-12, 07:20 AM
Hello all,

I recently purchased an Azure Blue M400 chassis #211. I come from a more muscle/Japanese car background and this is my first supercar. I've done an extensive amount of drag racing (I own a Camaro race car that I used to race in IHRA) and I've done some racing in SCCAs spec miata class. I have always desired a car that was multi-purposed and a few years ago a purchased an Evo IX with the intention of building a mean street car that could compete both in drag racing and NASA TT, however, as time went on and I started working out the details of my build the car became another drag car... Enter the hunt for a nice, lightly used lotus exige. While occassionally hunting the net for an exige I came across my noble, thought about it for a day or two, contacted the one and only owner, and bought her. It is a beautiful car and only has 428 miles on the odo. I haven't had the chance to drive it yet because it needs a new thermostat and I want to get all the fluids changed and the fuel cell flushed. At any rate, I'm excited and I'll post up some pictures later today. Hopefully this car will sate my hunger for straight line and cornering performance...

Wes

Hoover
05-12-12, 07:50 AM
BIG Congrats, Wes!!!!! Welcome!!!!
428 miles is UNREAL!!!! Amazing that there are still some cars out there with low miles.

Ronald Kienitz
05-12-12, 11:27 AM
Sounds like the perfect match of clean slate project car with a fellow-fanatic tuner. You're on the right forum, too!
Enjoy!

Grinder
05-12-12, 01:14 PM
Thanks all! Hoover, you and I spoke on the phone the other day and I wound up ordering a thermostat from one of your guys on Thursday. I'm looking forward to getting it in the car and getting it out on the road. Without further ado...

Grinder
05-12-12, 01:16 PM
The similarity of color between my Evo and M400 is actually pretty astounding until it gets dark. The M400 stays blue while the Evo shifts to a purple shade. I must admit I am partial to blue. My 1970 Boss 302 is blue as well...

Hoover
05-12-12, 05:37 PM
That's really clean!!!!
Great speaking to you and thanks for ordering parts.

Enjoy the car and send more pics!!

Zeitronix
05-12-12, 11:01 PM
Congrats Grinder. Nice color match. I speak 4G63 as well. Where are you located?

Grinder
05-13-12, 08:56 AM
Thanks Hoover! I plan on getting an oil cooler relocation kit from you soon as well. I have to finish up my Evos and then I will be working a bit on the Noble. I really want to relocate the oil cooler and do the exhaust/tune then maybe get my turbos upgraded to HTA28s at FP which is about a 5 minute drive from me. We talked about a tune on the phone and I'd like to get the exhaust squared away per your suggestion before doing that. I am having a hard time getting information on my car and I'd rather not have a shop do much of my maintenance, except for the first fluid changes. I have a steel oil tank which is part number 600478 and I am unsure of the oil capacity. Some info I have found says 8.5 liters while others say less so that is a little disconcerting... Is there a good location to jack the car up from and to place jack stands? I would really prefer to do the fluids myself but I am concerned about raising the car. If anyone has location pics or any information on any thing I should pay particular attention to I'd appreciate it greatly.

I am located in Dallas and I actually use a version 2 Zeitronix in my Blue Evo. The first time my bosch wideband O2 went out I was paranoid my tune went out on that car. It was unfortunate because the loss of the wideband coincided with my rear O2 going out so I thought I was completely screwed lol. At any rate, I love that system. Use it for boost and AFR. I am going to add an e85 sensor to it when I get the Evo together.

Wes

Jimbo
05-13-12, 11:12 AM
Congratulations on getting your Noble! One thing that may help is to follow this post on Private Forums Access (http://noble-speed.com/showthread.php?48-Private-Forums-Access) - there's a lot of useful info for maintenance in the private forums.

For jack points, look under your car, approx. 6" in from the door sills, and you should see 4 round plastic nubs sticking out from the aluminum floor. These are the basic jacking points - be sure to use a jack with a flat pad, or if yours is cupped, use a piece of wood or a hockey puck in the cup of the jack so you don't dent the flooring. Be careful - since the aluminum floor of the car is flat and smooth, if you jack the side of the car too high, your jack can kick out, causing the car to fall onto the jack, possibly damaging the body. Road grime or oil on the bottom of the car or on your jack pad make this more likely - degrease the jack pad and bottom of the car before you start. To lessen the possibility of this happening, when I put the car up on stands (or, even easier, a pair of wheel cribs (http://www.raceramps.com/adjustable-10-inch-wheel-cribs.aspx)), I usually slide the jack in from the rear of the car, and put it right under the chassis bar at the front edge of the rear diffuser, where the rear motor mount is attached.

As to oil capacity, it all varies depending on which oil pan is on the car, oil coolers, cooler locations, etc. I'd suggest for the first change, throw in 8 quarts, check the dipstick, and keep adding from there until you're up to the full mark. Start the car and run it for a minute, stop the engine, let it drain down, and check the dipstick again, top off if necessary. Once you know how much oil your car needs, you're set for all of your future oil changes...

Moistwipe
05-13-12, 08:30 PM
Cool I am in Dallas too and I will be getting my car back from hoover in couple of weeks. Ill have to show you some of his addons :)

Grinder
05-14-12, 05:05 AM
Sweet! I just got the number for another guy that has a silver M12 GTO. I saw his car at True Street in McKinney. What color is yours and what all are you having done?

Wes

Moistwipe
05-14-12, 05:39 AM
Its now white (carbon fiber wrap). We changed out the motor, single turbo conversion and everything else associated with that. I havent seen it since the change but Hoover dynod it 486 whp so should be pretty quick :)

Grinder
05-14-12, 07:33 AM
Wow! Nice. Is it a 400 or a GTO?

Moistwipe
05-14-12, 12:27 PM
It was once a GTO lol

Hoover
05-14-12, 07:58 PM
it was once a gto lol

long, long ago!!!!!

Hoover
05-14-12, 07:59 PM
Thanks all! Hoover, you and I spoke on the phone the other day and I wound up ordering a thermostat from one of your guys on Thursday. I'm looking forward to getting it in the car and getting it out on the road. Without further ado...

That looks great!!!! Very good looking color!!!!!

Grinder
05-15-12, 03:23 PM
Moistwipe,

We'll have to get together sometime. I saw a GTO at a shop in McKinney the other day and I know of at least two other Nobles in the area that are still street driven. It would be cool to have a little Dallas area Noble day or something...

Hoover,

I must admit that I have been drooling over many of the parts on your website lately. I have to finish the build on my Evo and then I'm in for some improvements. I really want to keep twins though. I'll probably be giving you a call soon for an exhaust upgrade and a tune...

Wes

Moistwipe
05-16-12, 04:45 AM
That wasn't 5th Gear motorsport was it? those guys know nothing about Nobles. They were involved in my original turbo going pop where it ended up in the engine - then denied any and all responsibility.

Once I get the car back lets hook something up for sure

Hoover
05-16-12, 07:18 AM
Moistwipe,

We'll have to get together sometime. I saw a GTO at a shop in McKinney the other day and I know of at least two other Nobles in the area that are still street driven. It would be cool to have a little Dallas area Noble day or something...

Hoover,

I must admit that I have been drooling over many of the parts on your website lately. I have to finish the build on my Evo and then I'm in for some improvements. I really want to keep twins though. I'll probably be giving you a call soon for an exhaust upgrade and a tune...

Wes

thanks, Wes!!! I really need to update the website with more parts we have. We constantly are trying new things. I think are larger side scoops are done thursday. i have to be at the race track on friday. maybe, jim can drive and i'll work on the website with updates.
our enduro engine is just about completed, 6 piston brake hub conversion, side scoops, pics. of our carbon fiber fastback for DV, new throwout bearing (it's a test, don't know if we'll actually use it), latest single turbo, adjustable cams....ok, maybe it's going to take even more time and i'm avoiding updating the website because I'm lazy...::)

Hoover
05-16-12, 07:23 AM
That wasn't 5th Gear motorsport was it? those guys know nothing about Nobles. They were involved in my original turbo going pop where it ended up in the engine - then denied any and all responsibility.

Once I get the car back lets hook something up for sure

you were super nice about everything and wanted what was fair and even way less than that. I spoke to them and told them that retaining a customer's business is important so give a bit, especially when it looks like they are at fault. the turbo was destroyed and i found the pieces in one of the cylinders. when i took the motor apart, i even saw that the block wasn't any good. i had a spare one and just donated it.

drew's ride looks pretty amazing!!!! it's got near 500whp now.

Grinder
05-16-12, 03:34 PM
you were super nice about everything and wanted what was fair and even way less than that. I spoke to them and told them that retaining a customer's business is important so give a bit, especially when it looks like they are at fault. the turbo was destroyed and i found the pieces in one of the cylinders. when i took the motor apart, i even saw that the block wasn't any good. i had a spare one and just donated it.

drew's ride looks pretty amazing!!!! it's got near 500whp now.

I'm looking forward to seeing it for sure!

Quick question, any suggestions on oil and oil filter along with oil filter part number?

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Hoover
05-16-12, 05:54 PM
wes,

when you get the car, let me know your oil pressure and i'll give you a recommendation.

Grinder
05-16-12, 08:24 PM
Hoover,

I have the car. I'll check the pressure tomorrow.

Thanks,
Wes

Hoover
05-16-12, 08:29 PM
make sure the oil is fully warmed.
let me know your idle pressure as well as at 6,000 + rpm.

Grinder
05-17-12, 04:16 PM
Hoover,

The oil pressure is 30psi at idle and 80psi at 6000+.

Thanks in advance,
Wes

Hoover
05-17-12, 04:48 PM
at what temp.?

Grinder
05-17-12, 05:18 PM
Evidently the sender for the oil temp gauge isn't working or I didn't get above 40C. I suspect the former...

Wes

Hoover
05-17-12, 06:29 PM
Drive around 10 -15 miles and let me know.

Grinder
05-17-12, 06:34 PM
I can't just yet. I don't trust the thermostat enough to do so. I'll have to do it after I get the tstat installed.

Hoover
05-17-12, 09:48 PM
I think your oil was definitely on the colder side.
Keep us updated.